Established in July 1941, the Ghana Armed Forces Medical Services (GAFMS) started as a medical support backup for the 2nd world war efforts in the West African colonies. In this respect, General Giffard was tasked to request the War Office in the United Kingdom for the necessary logistics and administrative support for setting up a Military Hospital in the Gold Coast. The Public Works Department was commissioned by the Colonial Office to construct the buildings and by 4 July 1941, the Base Hospital in Accra was completed to begin operation as the 37th General Hospital within the British Empire.
It had 29 wards with nine for Europeans and the rest for Africans. After the war in 1946, the size of the hospital was reduced drastically. However, in 1956, the hospital was re-designated Military Hospital of the Gold Coast to serve as one of the support service providers within the Armed Forces. In 1957, following Ghana’s Independence, the Military Hospital recruited its first indigenous doctors, nurses and other paramedical staff and commissioned them to man the hospital and has since been doing so. By 1961, the Medical Reception Stations (MRSs) and Medical centers were put up in the garrisons and together with the 37 Military Hospital, formed the nucleus of present day Ghana Armed Forces Medical Services (GAFMS).
All facilities in Ghana Armed Forces Medical Services have a primary objective of providing health care service and treatment to service personnel and their families, civilian employees of the Ministry of Defence and their families and ex-service personnel often known as Entitled Personnel. It is also open to the general Ghanaian populace for medical care, commonly referred to as non-entitled. It is a common knowledge that over 70% of all clients are non-entitled civilian patients. In addition, GAFMS facilities extend services to International Organizations and NGOs operating in Ghana and the West African Sub-region.